POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Armillary sphere : Re: Armillary sphere Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:11:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Armillary sphere
From: Vincent LE CHEVALIER
Date: 15 Feb 2004 03:24:01
Message: <402f2ca1@news.povray.org>
Hughes, B. wrote:
> "Vincent LE CHEVALIER" <lec### [at] ctiecpfr> wrote in message
>
>>  Thanks for the suggestions !
>>  Here is a new version, looking more metallic. I also added a slight
>>normal perturbation to disturb the reflections a little, and I improved
>>(in my view :-) ) the lighting.
>>  I think I'll keep the non-blob stand. I like its sharp look, though
>>it's not what I originally intended to do...
>

> By Jove, I think he's got it! Beautiful. I like these astronomical devices.
> This would probably be called demonstrational armillary, since the
> observational ones tend to have fewer rings and would be larger.

Indeed, it would be truely difficult to make precise observations with
this kind of device. Actually, there was an other, simpler instrument
called "astronomical ring" that could serve such purposes. See
http://www.galerie-kugel.com/expo_en.htm for some beautiful pictures of
those instruments. I saw the exposition, and it was amazing...

Thanks again for the comments

--
Vincent Le Chevalier